Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Weird behaviors normal for pugs?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Weird behaviors normal for pugs?

Post  dianebarrybrazil on 2/3/2012, 7:20 pm

I have my first pug - a 2 year old rescue we got in July - and I am wondering about some of her odd behaviors....are these typical for pugs? First, I read on a wonderful sticky on this site about the licking thing. Tallulah will sometimes lick whatever blanket she is on, or my pant leg, or a sofa cushion.....and now I know this is not unusual for pugs so I'll just consider it a quirk. (Along with twitching in her sleep, refusing to just be let out into the yard to "go" -she requires company and a stroll in the neighborhood - and REFUSING to go out if it's raining, snowing, cold etc....) Now, what about these:
1) My female dog lifts her leg to pee...and almost always against a shrub, pole, fence - like a male dog. She especially likes to pee on fallen branches with leaves.
2) She is very picky about where she'll pee...sometimes testing a spot by lifting her leg briefly but not going and moving on to "try" other spots.
3) She is even more picky about where she'll poop...and when she finds an acceptable spot she starts spinning in circles, sometimes stopping and reversing direction but always going in circles with her head in one spot and spinning her hind end around and around - then she'll stop, squat and lift her right rear leg off the ground so she's balanced on 3 legs and she'll lick her snout repeatedly while she goes. Then she'll put the right foot back down and hunch forward for a moment and then she's done and moves on.
4) She insists on sleeping in our bed and will often burrow under the covers to sleep - and she must be touching one of us at all times.

Are any of these behaviors typical of pugs? Or do I just have a weird dog?

dianebarrybrazil

Number of posts: 25

Back to top Go down

Re: Weird behaviors normal for pugs?

Post  lindarpugma on 2/3/2012, 7:32 pm

I'd say she's totally pug, At one time I had 4 females and 2 out of 4 lifted their legs to pee. Pugs are very attached and usually have to be touching you and I sleep with all of mine. Mine circle when they by poop and takes forever to find the right spot. She even growls if one of the others gets near her. Likes her privacy. My male does the "drive by peeing" all the time. Like I said, she's a pug.

lindarpugma

Number of posts: 591

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee on 2/3/2012, 7:33 pm

Sounds like you have a totally normal diva girl pug!! LOL

My girl lifts her right leg a bit when she pees, and she tries hard to get her pee up as high as possible on any marking point, like trees, shrubs, etc. She does some spinning before going poop, but not to the extent your girl does.

I did have a foster that would find the exact highest spot possible, hike his butt as high up as he could, balancing on the front legs, so he could get his poop as high as he could! It always killed me to watch, lol!!

And, yes, my girl pug will pee in multiple spots, like marking. The boys love it. They all run after her marking her pee spots.

Renee

Number of posts: 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Buddy's Mom on 2/3/2012, 7:36 pm

Yep, all sounds perfectly normal to me. Sometimes Sophie will drive me crazy when she half squats to pee and changes her mind to go on to the next spot and repeat. One of my boys, Oscar, will lift a leg when he poops like he's going to pee but decides it's a poop instead. Funny, quirky little creatures aren't they?

Buddy's Mom

Number of posts: 218

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch on 2/3/2012, 7:42 pm

Yep, yep, yep. All normal pug stuff. I've almost never had a girl that didn't lift their leg and mark territory like a boy. I've had a couple of girls that were worse than the boys for marking.

The rule in our house is never interrupt Hazel when she is circling for a pee or a poop or she'll have to start all over again.

And almost no pug will just go outside and do their business without you for company.

northernwitch

Number of posts: 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dianebarrybrazil on 2/3/2012, 10:19 pm

I can't tell you how relieved I am to hear Tallulah is just a normal pug! I haven't seen any other dogs in the neighborhood do any of these things (of course they aren't pugs though!)so I wasn't sure. I laughed out loud reading the replies. How funny are these little guys, huh?

dianebarrybrazil

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch on 2/3/2012, 10:25 pm

dianebarrybrazil wrote:I can't tell you how relieved I am to hear Tallulah is just a normal pug! I haven't seen any other dogs in the neighborhood do any of these things (of course they aren't pugs though!)so I wasn't sure. I laughed out loud reading the replies. How funny are these little guys, huh?
I always, always tell new pug owners, especially if they've had other breeds before, that having had a non-pug dog doesn't teach you much about dealing with a pug. They are dogs, but have more quirks than any other breed I've ever had.

northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  FurSprinklers on 2/4/2012, 12:53 am

When my Tallulah Belle pug goes to work with me, (grooming shop), she will jump in the crate that I just took a dog out of, and go pee on their towel.... every time, every dog. Rolling Eyes

FurSprinklers

Number of posts: 675

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch on 2/4/2012, 5:42 am

Welcome to Pugdom! Hasn't taken you long to realise you don't have a dog, you have a PUG! Laughing

And T., Tallulah cracks me up! Laughing

Aussie Witch

Number of posts: 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2/4/2012, 8:46 am

She could be Vivian's sister except for the lifting the leg to pee.

Back to top Go down

Post  lindarpugma on 2/4/2012, 10:40 am

Oh yeah Blanche, I forgot about not interrupting the poop circle. It just starts the cycle all over again.

lindarpugma

Number of posts: 591

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt on 2/4/2012, 7:51 pm

That sounds like a younger Penny. She lifted her leg to pee until her arthritis got too bad; she had to find the perfect branch/shrub/blade of grass (and still does); she does the poop twirly dance, and she lets me sleep in the big bed with her, as long as she is touching me. If I roll away, she wakes up and moves over. Yup, a normal pug.

Pugsaunt

Number of posts: 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  ocnside on 2/5/2012, 9:26 am

Aussie Witch wrote:Welcome to Pugdom! Hasn't taken you long to realise you don't have a dog, you have a PUG! Laughing

And T., Tallulah cracks me up! Laughing

EXACTLY...Julian does all of those quirky things and much more that I just have to stare and smile and say that Jules, isn't he special :)

ocnside

Number of posts: 718

Back to top Go down

Post  Imon on 2/5/2012, 12:05 pm

They are quirky little creatures, but we love them! Otto has a thing for shoes - will scout the house for any loose shoes and drag them back into his bed. He doesn't chew them, just collects them. And it isn't that easy for him to carry my husband's heavy shoes now that his back is so bad, but he does it.

And they love to be with their people. Always. Right next to them. I'm one of many of us who's taken a bad fall because my pug was right underfoot. But he was very sweet and licked my face as I was lying on the floor trying to get back up!

Imon

Number of posts: 1897

Back to top Go down

Post  SacramentoPugs on 2/6/2012, 2:10 pm

I absolutely love your avatar photo of Tallulah -- she wears her Pug Snuggly well! Very Happy Looks like a wonderfully spoiled little rescue girl.

SacramentoPugs

Number of posts: 1428

Back to top Go down

Post  dianebarrybrazil on 2/6/2012, 4:51 pm

Wow! You recognized her Pug Snuggly? Besides the leopard coat in the picture she also has a heavy-duty winter "ski jacket" that's waterproof and lined in fleece - this is one pug who HATES the cold (and the rain, the snow, the dark, the wind....). I love the Pug Snuggly clothes - they are cut for the pug physique and are easy on/off. Tallulah happily puts her head through the neck opening when it's time to go out, then a quick velcro strap around the waist and we're all set! My sister got her a set of Pug Ugs (faux Ugg-style boots) for Christmas but so far I can't seem to get them all on and have them stay on and she doesn't seem to like them - maybe if I could get her used to them....yeah, like she doesn't already look like an eccentric little frotz in her coat, let's add boots to the mix and see the reaction of all the lab owners on the street! (One neighbor saw Tallulah in her coat and laughed and said "She looks just like a pig in a blanket!" I have to admit she does....)

dianebarrybrazil

Back to top Go down

Post  lbgrrl on 2/12/2012, 7:07 am

Beatrice whirls around like a top before she poops. I can now tell which it is going to be, as she twirls far less before she pees. She also must select just the right plants to pee/poop on--she prefers things like rosemary and short ornamental grasses. And she will not pee/poop once it is dark and the dew has fallen, I guess she doesn't like it on her dainty feeties.

lbgrrl

Number of posts: 8

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch on 2/12/2012, 11:12 pm

dianebarrybrazil wrote:Wow! You recognized her Pug Snuggly? Besides the leopard coat in the picture she also has a heavy-duty winter "ski jacket" that's waterproof and lined in fleece - this is one pug who HATES the cold (and the rain, the snow, the dark, the wind....). I love the Pug Snuggly clothes - they are cut for the pug physique and are easy on/off. Tallulah happily puts her head through the neck opening when it's time to go out, then a quick velcro strap around the waist and we're all set! My sister got her a set of Pug Ugs (faux Ugg-style boots) for Christmas but so far I can't seem to get them all on and have them stay on and she doesn't seem to like them - maybe if I could get her used to them....yeah, like she doesn't already look like an eccentric little frotz in her coat, let's add boots to the mix and see the reaction of all the lab owners on the street! (One neighbor saw Tallulah in her coat and laughed and said "She looks just like a pig in a blanket!" I have to admit she does....)
My pom had that same Pug Snuggly--we just didn't tell her it was for pugs as she'd have been horrified. Her fleece interior was pink. Lovely. My big guy, Tank, has the ski jacket model as he's somewhat folliclely challenged.

northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  akc0104 on 2/13/2012, 1:35 am

Matilda has a butt thing going on. She comes at us like she's going to cuddle but then turns and all we get is her butt. My poor boys are constantly mumbling "I got the butt!" as she sits on their faces when she wakes them in the mornings. It's become a family joke. Very Happy

akc0104

Number of posts: 1742

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum