Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

shaving a pug?

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

shaving a pug?

Post  Two Crazy Pugs on 6/12/2010, 9:55 am

I know of some people who shave down their pugs in the summer and wondering if anyone here does. I have heard that a dog has their coat for climate control reasons and even a thick coat can help keep them cool in the summer. Is that true?

Mr. B is a shedding machine! It is like a cloud of fur is following him when he walks. He gets brushed regularly with the furminator, but this year it seems worse than usual. Would shaving make him uncomfortable? Thanks guys.

Two Crazy Pugs
 
 

Number of posts: 1295
Location: Las Vegas

Back to top Go down

Re: shaving a pug?

Post  TxAllieGrl on 6/12/2010, 10:40 am

I've heard of a few people who shave their pugs. The thing is, once you shave them down, you have to use sunblock and be careful they don't get a sunburn (and we all know how quickly that can happen in the summer!).

I don't know a ton about the pros or cons - but certainly their fur does more than just grow and fall out. It does protect them from other things besides the sun...

As much as I hate the shedding and constant vacuuming, I haven't gotten to a place where shaving them is more desireable.

TxAllieGrl
 
 

Number of posts: 5801
Location: Fort Worth, TX

Back to top Go down

Re: shaving a pug?

Post  northernwitch on 6/12/2010, 10:43 am

Cindi:
I think this is a terrible idea. I'm not attacking you, but I do hear people doing this and it's just a bad idea. It doesn't reduce shedding, it just makes the hair that's shed shorter (and in my opinion, even harder to get up with a vacuum). It increases a pug's chances of things like sunburn and bug bites as the hair isn't as able to protect them. And it doesn't particularly help keep them from overheating. The over heating issue with pugs is as much about their breathing as it is about their hair.

The only one of my dogs that I trim short is Lola as her coat is four inches long when she's in full coat. And even then, I only shave her to where her fur is an inch long so she has lots of protection from sun burn and bug bites.

Yes, a dog's coat does act as insulation from heat and cold--but it mostly protects them from getting burnt by the sun.

northernwitch
 
 

Number of posts: 11030
Location: Toronto, Ontario

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Re: shaving a pug?

Post  GingerSnap on 6/12/2010, 10:49 am

I have a neighbor who shaves her pugs in summer. Well, not shave exactly, but trimmed pretty short with a trimmer. Her mom is even a groomer, so I don't think it was completely out of the blue. I'm not crazy about the look or feel, and won't try it myself, but they don't seem any worse for it. It may make a difference that hers aren't short enough to burn, and one of hers has a very thick coat to begin with.

GingerSnap
 

Number of posts: 3546
Location: Williamsburg VA

Back to top Go down

Re: shaving a pug?

Post  Not Afraid on 6/12/2010, 11:06 am

I have run across people who shave their pugs - and they do it because of shedding. I agree with Blanche that it is a terrible idea for all of the reasons she stated. While all dogs shed, profuse shedding is not the norm. My pugs don't shed much at all. A lot has to do with having a good diet and the Missing Link supplement I give them. Try getting some Missing Link and add it to their food 2x a day. You'll see a marked decrease in shedding within a few weeks and shaving won't be necessary.

Not Afraid
 
 

Number of posts: 5095
Location: Long Beach, CA

Back to top Go down

Re: shaving a pug?

Post  Snifter&Toddy on 6/12/2010, 11:25 am

Yes to all the above. And I never, ever will understand why people think it helps with the shedding; as Blanche said it just means they shed shorter hair.

Snifter&Toddy
 
 

Number of posts: 2071
Location: England

Back to top Go down

Re: shaving a pug?

Post  northernwitch on 6/12/2010, 11:32 am

A Pugs coat is an integral part of its cooling system, and it's not only unnecessary to shave
a Pug, but it also interferes with their natural cooling system. We all
know their ability to cool off isn't very good to begin with, and
making the job even more difficult is unwise, and potentially unhealthy.

Their fur does protect them from direct sun. It prevents their skin
from getting burned, and it also absorbs the heat generated by the sun.
Without their natural Pug coat there is less protection of the skin,
and a decreased ability to absorb the heat...It is the absorbtion of
the heat that acts as a trigger to cause a Pugs cooling system to kick
in.

Consider this absorbtion like a thermostat...It's 90 degrees outside,
which isn't good for Pugs as we know. So something has to be in place
for a Pug to tell its body to start cooling off before it gets too hot
and overheats perhaps causing heat stroke....Enter the fur, which
absorbs the heat, slowing down what could
otherwise be a rapidly increasing body temperature and then triggering
the Pugs cooling system to kick in by panting in an effort to cool off
and lower the body temperature.

A good analogy would be to consider how we use our thermostats at home.
We don't want the house to get to 90 degrees indoors before we turn on
the AC because it takes a long time to cool the house to 72 degrees if
we do....Instead, if we can, we set the AC to go on and start cooling
the house when the indoor temp hits 80...

The Pugs coat absorbing this heat is what makes it possible for a Pugs
cooling system to be pre-programmed to go on before it gets too
hot....this last part being more theory unfortunately, because a Pugs
cooling system is not very efficient.

That said, every little bit helps, and it's unwise to shave a Pug because by doing so, one is interfering with what little natural defense against heat it has.

And shedding is a natural defense against heat, and it is a natural
event. Shedding is not a haphazard, random event without purpose. Dogs
shed for a reason, when they are supposed to, usually based on what is
best and most healthful for them. There are some breeds which are
exceptions to this, but Pugs are not one of them.

Finally, there are many breeds of dog which can be shaved with no
potentially ill efffects...Many owners give their Toy Poodles puppy
cuts because they think they should and they think it's
cute....Necessary? Not at all. Truly helpful to the Poodle to keep it
cooler? No....But it's not potentially harmful either because Toy
Poodles do not suffer the same difficulties Pugs have keeping cool.

For Pugs, the coat is as it is supposed to be at any given time of year...And thus should be left alone.

I googled "shaving pugs" and found this--which was a post Dante made on PV ages ago, but is in line with my issues around shaving a pug.

northernwitch
 
 

Number of posts: 11030
Location: Toronto, Ontario

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Re: shaving a pug?

Post  Two Crazy Pugs on 6/12/2010, 1:09 pm

Thanks guys. Don't worry, Blanche, I don't attacked. That is why I came here to ask. I had heard that dog's fur is part of their cooling system, but I have seen people trim their pugs down and have been asked by groomers if we wanted to shave Mr. B.

I didn't even consider the sunburning factor which is so easy to do here in Vegas! Yikes!

Thanks for the information and opinions. Mr. B is lucky he is a pampered indoor dog. Good thing we have the furminator and Dyson.

Two Crazy Pugs
 
 

Number of posts: 1295
Location: Las Vegas

Back to top Go down

Re: shaving a pug?

Post  northernwitch on 6/12/2010, 1:56 pm

Two Crazy Pugs wrote:Thanks guys. Don't worry, Blanche, I don't attacked. That is why I came here to ask. I had heard that dog's fur is part of their cooling system, but I have seen people trim their pugs down and have been asked by groomers if we wanted to shave Mr. B.

I didn't even consider the sunburning factor which is so easy to do here in Vegas! Yikes!

Thanks for the information and opinions. Mr. B is lucky he is a pampered indoor dog. Good thing we have the furminator and Dyson.
Okay--I'm glad you didn't feel attacked. I don't know if I generally come across as a tactless boor (highly possible) or if I deal with too many folks who already have the answer they want to hear in their minds and so get cheesed off when I disagree, but I've become somewhat careful when I'm about to strongly disagree with someone. I always preface it by "I'm not attacking you.......".

northernwitch
 
 

Number of posts: 11030
Location: Toronto, Ontario

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Re: shaving a pug?

Post  Two Crazy Pugs on 6/12/2010, 3:02 pm

I think after about 5 years of "knowing" you Blanche, I know you only say the truth. Some people don't want to hear the truth. I came asking for answers and got some good advice. I have a feeling I will know when it is personal

The main reason what got me thinking about it was I popped into a new little grooming place to check it out and I was chatting with the girls about pricing. I told them I had pugs and they asked me about shaving them. We had a little conversation about it and how lots of people do it in Vegas. I am surprised that they were so for it it it is that bad for them. Perhaps they don't know either. But when it is your profession to know different dog breeds and grooming techniques I would think they would be better informed.

Two Crazy Pugs
 
 

Number of posts: 1295
Location: Las Vegas

Back to top Go down

Re: shaving a pug?

Post  Saira on 6/12/2010, 3:11 pm

Two Crazy Pugs wrote:I think after about 5 years of "knowing" you Blanche, I know you only say the truth. Some people don't want to hear the truth. I came asking for answers and got some good advice. I have a feeling I will know when it is personal

The main reason what got me thinking about it was I popped into a new little grooming place to check it out and I was chatting with the girls about pricing. I told them I had pugs and they asked me about shaving them. We had a little conversation about it and how lots of people do it in Vegas. I am surprised that they were so for it it it is that bad for them. Perhaps they don't know either. But when it is your profession to know different dog breeds and grooming techniques I would think they would be better informed.

I know a few people that shave their pugs here too and it drives me crazy-it feels SO weird, and I'd be worried about the sunburn.

But, maybe one of us can invent something to help with the shedding, I JUST vaccumed 20 minutes ago, and I swear you can't even tell now. Laughing

Saira
 
 

Number of posts: 8300
Location: Las Vegas, NV

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Re: shaving a pug?

Post  northernwitch on 6/12/2010, 3:18 pm

Saira wrote:
Two Crazy Pugs wrote:I think after about 5 years of "knowing" you Blanche, I know you only say the truth. Some people don't want to hear the truth. I came asking for answers and got some good advice. I have a feeling I will know when it is personal

The main reason what got me thinking about it was I popped into a new little grooming place to check it out and I was chatting with the girls about pricing. I told them I had pugs and they asked me about shaving them. We had a little conversation about it and how lots of people do it in Vegas. I am surprised that they were so for it it it is that bad for them. Perhaps they don't know either. But when it is your profession to know different dog breeds and grooming techniques I would think they would be better informed.

I know a few people that shave their pugs here too and it drives me crazy-it feels SO weird, and I'd be worried about the sunburn.

But, maybe one of us can invent something to help with the shedding, I JUST vaccumed 20 minutes ago, and I swear you can't even tell now. Laughing
That person will be the richest pug person in the world......

northernwitch
 
 

Number of posts: 11030
Location: Toronto, Ontario

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Re: shaving a pug?

Post  Not Afraid on 6/12/2010, 4:32 pm

I SWEAR Missing Link really cuts down on shedding! I'm not getting a commission from them, I promise!

Not Afraid
 
 

Number of posts: 5095
Location: Long Beach, CA

Back to top Go down

Re: shaving a pug?

Post  northernwitch on 6/12/2010, 4:35 pm

Not Afraid wrote:I SWEAR Missing Link really cuts down on shedding! I'm not getting a commission from them, I promise!
I like the stuff, Lisa--alot, unfortunately it has too many ingredients that my guys react to so I can never use it with the resident dogs.

northernwitch
 
 

Number of posts: 11030
Location: Toronto, Ontario

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Re: shaving a pug?

Post  Not Afraid on 6/12/2010, 4:47 pm

northernwitch wrote:
Not Afraid wrote:I SWEAR Missing Link really cuts down on shedding! I'm not getting a commission from them, I promise!
I like the stuff, Lisa--alot, unfortunately it has too many ingredients that my guys react to so I can never use it with the resident dogs.

The yeast may be a problem for some dogs.

These are the ingredients for Missing Link (I use the Plus which has glucosamine as well)

Flaxseed, Rice Bran, Primary Dried Yeast, Cane Molasses, Sunflower Seed,
Freeze Dried Beef Liver, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Dried Carrot, Ground
Beef Bone*, Dried Fish Solubles, Ground Barley Grass, Dried Kelp, Freeze
Dried Oyster, Zinc Monomethionine, Lecithin, Chromium Yeast, Selenium
Yeast, Niacin (Vitamin B3), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6),
Garlic, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Thiamine
Hydrochloride (Vitamin B1), Folic Acid, and Vitamin B12 Supplement.

Not Afraid
 
 

Number of posts: 5095
Location: Long Beach, CA

Back to top Go down

Re: shaving a pug?

Post  Brenda on 6/12/2010, 6:51 pm

Minority here, I had my pugs shaved a few weeks ago. When I say "shaved" it is really a very close trim. They still have hair albeit, a very short coat. And I LOVE it!!!!!! They aren't shedding at all and are doing much better in the heat. I posted pics on Facebook after I had them done.

Brenda
 
 

Number of posts: 2221
Location: Atlanta, GA

Back to top Go down

Re: shaving a pug?

Post  northernwitch on 6/12/2010, 7:25 pm

Flaxseed, Rice Bran, Primary Dried Yeast, Cane Molasses, Sunflower Seed,
Freeze Dried Beef Liver, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Dried Carrot, Ground
Beef Bone*, Dried Fish Solubles, Ground Barley Grass, Dried Kelp, Freeze
Dried Oyster
, Zinc Monomethionine, Lecithin, Chromium Yeast, Selenium
Yeast,
Niacin (Vitamin B3), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6),
Garlic, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Thiamine
Hydrochloride (Vitamin B1), Folic Acid, and Vitamin B12 Supplement.

All the stuff in blue are the ingredients that my guys have issues with. Too many grains and yeasty type things. And due to Tank's yeast issues he can't have anything that converts to or is sugar (molasses). He and Theo have seasonal allergies to no grasses, seeds or alfalfa. And Lola has an allergy to mussels and other bi-valves so not sure how she'd do with oysters.

And most of them don't do well with beef so I'm careful about anything that has beef in it.

Having said all that, it's a good product for dogs without multiple issues. Flax is a grain AND the first ingredient so a definite no go for my crew.

northernwitch
 
 

Number of posts: 11030
Location: Toronto, Ontario

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Re: shaving a pug?

Post  Renee on 6/12/2010, 9:17 pm

northernwitch wrote: And due to Tank's yeast issues he can't have anything that converts to or is sugar (molasses). .

Blanche, how bad did Tank's yeast get? How did you treat it? If you see my post under Hilary's allergy and elimination diet, I have pictures of Daisy's yeast spots. Any advice for treatment? (other than raw, which I waiting from Vickie for the go ahead to get Daisy off the z/d kibble and onto raw).

Renee
 
 

Number of posts: 5692
Location: Anchorage Alaska

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Re: shaving a pug?

Post  northernwitch on 6/13/2010, 4:16 pm

Renee wrote:
northernwitch wrote: And due to Tank's yeast issues he can't have anything that converts to or is sugar (molasses). .

Blanche, how bad did Tank's yeast get? How did you treat it? If you see my post under Hilary's allergy and elimination diet, I have pictures of Daisy's yeast spots. Any advice for treatment? (other than raw, which I waiting from Vickie for the go ahead to get Daisy off the z/d kibble and onto raw).
Tank has pretty terrible systemic yeast and has had for years. It's better than it was, but is still an ongoing battle. I may try him on Itraconazole which is effective (more so than ketoconazole) against systemic yeast--but it's ungodly expensive and can affect the liver.

Shoot me your email and I'll send you the write up on Tank's yeast issues and what I have done. Not to minimize Daisy's yeast at all, but Tank's entire body was like her armpits. He's still got dark skin, but at least he has some pink now. He has a ton of allelrgies/sensitivities so diet is a juggling act with him.

northernwitch
 
 

Number of posts: 11030
Location: Toronto, Ontario

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Re: shaving a pug?

Post  thminis on 6/13/2010, 5:52 pm

Our first pug was 2 when I was born. We used to have him shaved, but I was 11 when he passed away. I don't know why my parents did it, possibly to help with the hair issue? They've never even suggested shaving our two now and I don't think they ever would. I'll have to see if I can dig up pictures. He was a pretty low key pug who aged pretty quickly (he seemed ancient at 11 and was blind since 9). Sunburn was not an issue, and shaving him seemed like he did fine. Would I personally do it? No. Would I recommend it to other pug owners? Probably not. But did our Rocky do just fine after it? Yeah, he really did.

thminis
 
 

Number of posts: 1139
Location: Illinois

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum